Esther Lee Building
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Due to the overwhelming number of applications received for this summer camp, the application system has encountered a problem in the last two days. Hence, we will extend the application deadline to HKT 5pm on April 24, 2019 (this Wed). Thank you for your interest in our programme and support.
The Department of Economics of CUHK will organize a summer camp for prospective PhD and MPhil students from June 6 to June 8, 2019. It gives an unique opportunity for high calibre candidates to intensively experience the prospect of pursuing PhD and MPhil studies and interact with our faculty members on an one-to-one basis. It is also a special channel for us to further your research interests and potentials. Outstanding participants will be specifically considered by the Department for the 2020/21 PhD or MPhil programme.
Applicants should submit applications through the online application form by HKT 5pm of April 24, 2019 (Wed). No application fee would be charged. Late applications will not be considered. Invitations will be sent out to selected students in early May. Unsuccessful applicants would not be informed individually. Preference would be given to prospective PhD students.
The recruitment camp is mainly targeted for:
- current undergraduate/ postgraduate students who would be graduating by summer 2020;
- bachelor/ master degree holders who plan to apply for the 2020/21 PhD and/or MPhil programme
- A cumulative GPA of 3.6 or above out of 4.0 or equivalent; OR
- Applicants with a cumulative GPA between 3.3 to 3.59 out of 4.0 can also apply but have to demonstrate excellent research potential by a strong recommendation letter
Applicants are required to complete the online application form and upload the following documents* in the following order to support their application:
- Academic transcript(s) and graduation certificate(s) of undergraduate and postgraduate studies (if applicable)
- Score report(s) of TOEFL/ IELTS (Strongly recommended for applicants who do not have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country)
- Recommendation letter (Required for applicants who have a cumulative GPA below 3.6 out of 4.0; Optional for other applicants)
- Personal statement including research ideas and experience, and future planning for a research career written in English (Word limit: 1000 words)
- Abstract of conference presentations or publications (if any)
- A copy of Hong Kong Identity Card for local applicants or Passport/ID document for non-local applicants
*Please combine all the required documents into one PDF file before uploading and name the file with your English name (Size limit: 20MB)
Accommodation and Travel
For each selected participant who lives outside Hong Kong, the Department will provide (i) three nights of accommodation (June 5 - June 7) on/ near CUHK campus and, (ii) a travel allowance of up to HK$3,000 to cover the actual cost of the cheapest direct return economy class air passage between your residence and Hong Kong on reimbursement basis. Mainland China applicants may also claim the actual cost of the second class rail fare if they decide to come by the high speed rail.
Successful applicants, at their own cost, may need to:
- apply for visa to enter Hong Kong (if applicable)
- pay for meals and local transportation if not otherwise arranged by the Department
- arrange their own accommodation and transportation if they plan to stay longer in Hong Kong after the camp (if applicable)*
* Successful applicants are required to consult with our Department about your travel plan first if you decide to extend your stay in Hong Kong. You may be unable to fully reimburse your travel cost to/ from Hong Kong if you extend your stay in Hong Kong.
Programme Schedule (Tentative)
June 6, 2019 (Thu)
Registration; Opening Ceremony; Welcoming Lunch; Students' Presentations
June 7, 2019 (Fri)
Meeting with Faculty members and our PhD students; Written Exam; Lunch; Academic Talk(s)/Seminar(s)
June 8, 2019 (Sat)
Campus Tour; Closing Ceremony and Lunch
Email Address: email@example.com
Telephone Number: (852) 3943-8191